Thursday, August 27, 2009

To reap what you sow

I saw all my past sins come to life in my first-born’s eyes as she defiantly dunked her father’s shoes in the pool.
Anger lasted only a moment before the guilt set in. Now I’m sure Matt has had his fair share of past transgressions, but I will bet you dollars to donuts that mine outnumber his. (And I’m not bragging!)
So while Kadence was disciplined for her obsurd actions, I internally felt some of the heat.
People have always said that hot-tempered or naughty children/teenagers will get a taste of their own medicine when they have children with the same or worse tendencies.
I have mentioned before that I have FOUR kids, right? AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
So besides the diapers, clothes, food, shelter and all that money can buy, I have to deal with crap I’ve done in my past coming up to bite me in my present? Discipline for parents, I guess.
But I wasn’t really that bad. At least as far as I can remember ...
As I recall, I thought it was real funny to ask adults (actually, I think I only tried this on Mary) to lean over for a loving kiss on the cheek ... only to bite them (small nibble) instead.
And I was sent to the principal’s office in kindergarten for dumping a bottle of liquid glue in a kid’s school box. But, he totally deserved it!
I’ve done the typical high-school nonsense that really was stupid and I pray my kids never do.
But, other than that, I was pretty good.
So why do I have a feeling my “pretty good” multiplied by four is going to mean headaches now and in the future?
Because instances like the shoes in the pool. Or when my middle children dumped buckets of calf replacement on top of each other and then rode their bikes through it on the back porch. Smelly and sticky!
Or when they scheme. Mom said I had a lot of “ideas,” I just lacked soldiers. My kids don’t, though. Matt and I are definitely outnumbered and I am sure the kids know it. Seems like daily there is an “incident.”
A week or two ago I found poor, little Masen stuffed inside a microwave-sized box on top of a table!
Or after Bella learned to open doors and let Masen go outside to play ... alone!
Oh, the list could go on and on.
And as my childen grow, the list of transgressions will grow with them, I’m sure. And because half their DNA has a bit too much “spunk,” shall we call it, then I have a feeling I might be dealing with more than the average number of “incidents.”
My only hope is that God makes their tongues a bit lazier and their wills a little less stubborn.
But then what would life be?
Probably a little less fun and a little too quiet.

As seen in the Lawrence County Record
www.lawrencecountyrecord.com

No comments:

Post a Comment