Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Life without satellite

A date that will live in infamy.
A day that will change the dynamic of Oehlschalger farm forever.
A turning point.
It was the day we got rid of satellite.
Now, without a digital converter box, we are the proud owners of an Amish television.
And when the wind blows, our channel options are even fewer.
Sounds pathetic this is such a big deal, right?
I think it is. It’s pretty sad when deciding to turn off the tube and turn to family time caused such a stir.
And I know we aren’t alone. Families all over the country have been caught in the time-consuming vice of television, satellite and DVRs so long we don’t know any different. We don’t see the problem. It’s a part of our lives. And the reason it’s sad is because television is not reality.
On the other hand, it is a way to avoid what problems ARE realities in our lives.
A way to procrastinate the work we, in reality, have to accomplish.
It makes us lazy. It numbs our minds. It makes us fat.
Wake up, America. We are zombies!
The instant we unpluged that satellite and turned on the fuzzy remnants collected by our antenna, there was relief.
Our home now has a different feel.
The white noise (most of it) is gone.
Now all that remains is the normal and healthy family sounds.
Kids screaming, playing and laughing.
Conversations with my husband.
More story times with the children.
There’s even more quiet.
The world has been turned off and I am left with the things that matter most to me.
I’m not distracted by smut T.V. or worried about the influence even “good” shows are having on those little sponges.
There’s no obligation to keep up with “my shows.” Getting rid of satellite was like marking 100 things permanently off my to-do list.
I can tell you that, so far, it has been one of the best decisions we’ve made in regard to our family health.
Mentally. Physically. Financially. Spiritually.
Winter is on its way. An opportunity for us to perfect our non-satellite time management skills. I will be tested. I probably will long for the mind-numbing glow of hundreds of child-occupying channels.
But I will also cuddle with and listen to my oldest daughter, Kadence, read me a story.
I will be captivated by the Lego architecture Rylan designs.
I will watch Bella dance to her own music in her full-length bedroom mirror.
I will laugh at the antics of baby Masen.
I will miss lots of television, but I won’t miss my family.
We will be warm. We will be safe. We will be happy.
Without satellite.

2 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME! Brave; but awesome!

    It occurs to me that in an epidemic of marriages ending in divorce...large in part due to LACK OF COMMUNICATION...this little box MIGHT very well be the mistress behind the melt-down!!

    How inspiring you are as a young adult in this crazy mixed up world, Ginia! Allowing yourself to be an example of a Godly woman, wife, & mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an incredible move for you guys. I can't imagine what it was like when you initially made that decision and shared it with the family. We are not TV free here, but we do enforce airtime restrictions on the kids... all good and productive, but I don't enforce it on myself. Thank you for your encouragement Ginia. Maybe that will become one of my New Year's resolutions. I don't think God inspired me to visit your blog today for no reason! God bless your family!!!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete