Monday, January 3, 2011

Not eating out challenge

Hello out there. Today marks Day 6 of my "DO NOT EAT OUT CHALLENGE." And boy have I been struggling.
I didn't really realize how addicted I was to the convenience of take-out food. I didn't realize how much my BODY was addicted to whatever the heck it is they put into that junk. And, like a junkie who is trying to quit, I have been having withdrawals. No headaches or physical pain, but I have been very anxious.
Since not allowing myself to eat out (unless it's on somebody else's dime — hey, I'm no fool), I can think of little else. Every time a meal rolls around I am forced to get off my tail and get into the kitchen and cook something. Anything. As long as it's not in a to-go container. I'll tell you what it is, it's pressure! I've got a husband and four children (oh yeah, and me) and that's A LOT of food. A lot of personalities to appease. A lot of dishes. A lot of everything.
New Year's Eve was my first real test. My heart's desire was hot wings from our local pizza place. I not only craved them, I longed for them with more fervor than most things.
I even contemplated breaking my rules. But, thankfully, my hubs saved the day. He simply told me he wasn't going to town (and he knew I would never go in). So that was that.
Instead, I watched the movie about that guy who ate nothing but McDonalds for 30 days. That did it. Craving gone. (For the night.)
The next morning was Saturday. We ALWAYS eat Bud's Donuts on Saturday mornings. But we didn't. Ate at home.
Lunchtime brought some interesting news (from the scales). I noticed my sweatpants were a little extra saggy, so I decided to take a step on the scale. The numbers not only surprised me, they shocked me. I had lost a few pounds! Now, THAT is motivation.
Side note: We didn't eat out every meal. Some weeks more than others, but on average, we ate out once a week. Still way too much when there's six of us.
Now it's Monday. Haven't tasted fast food since last Sunday (even though the challenge didn't officially begin until Wednesday). My face looks a little less teenage-boyish, my pants fit better and I can tell you we have more money. (as of now) My kitchen is clean and dishes are done.
And I feel good. Like I've accomplished something. Like I actually may be able to break this habit, addiction, stronghold that is the fast food industry.
I don't usually blog in the contemporary since, but I am going to attempt to document this 30-day journey. Keep checking back. I may even post some menus and recipes.
Got any time-saving tips? I can always use them. Email me at newspaperlady@gmail.com.
God bless you!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Ginia! It takes a lot of discipline. I too have been striving to do more here at home with cooking things from scratch to ensure healthy ingredients with names I can actually pronounce!

    My tip: Double up your cooking. That may seem bad at first, but it's almost as easy to make 2 lasagnas and freeze one to bake later or to double up a sloppy joe or chili batch as it is to make 1 lasagna or 1 batch of the stuff. AND it cuts down on that prep time later and those cooking dishes too!

    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete