Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Eater-outer-aholic asks for help

I love to eat out. I love almost everything about it.
I love the whole family hopping into the car to go pick up already prepared food in disposable containers that we will be able to consume all together on the living room floor.
I love the satisfaction of walking through my spotless kitchen with my “dishes” and throwing them straight into the trash.
I know. I know. I’m shaking my head typing these words. But please don’t judge me. Believe me, I judge me enough for the both of us.
There is nobody on this planet who knows better than I how awful-indulgent-wasteful-unhealthy-expensive this love of eating out is.
So, the first step in fixing a problem is admitting said problem, right?
OK, so here (reluctantly) it goes.
Hello. My name is Ginia and I am an eater-outer-aholic.
There, now I’ve said that I do have a problem (not that I am necessarily fully committed to changing).
Next step is to take a step to make it better. To stop the addiction. To get off my lazy tail and get into the kitchen and prepare some real food. Maybe even some food from our own farm. What a novel idea?
We already grow stuff, why don’t we just eat some of it?
I would love to be 100 percent self-sufficient (food-wise, at least). That’s a little far-fetched, especially in this day and age. Or is it?
Is it possible that the six of us mostly — if not totally — could eat only what we produce?
We have chickens and cows, and we plant a garden. That’s a pretty good start.
My cousin milks her own goats, and that supplies the family with the white stuff. (I already know about the risks of unpasteurized dairy. No need to enlighten me further.)
Our world really would change (for the better?) if my family and I took to the ground to produce food for our table along with greens for our bank account.
Hmmmm ...
And the reason I am literally forcing my fingers to type out this confession is this: I NEED HELP. I don’t want help, but I know I need it.
So, here goes ... For the next month (starting right now), we are not going to eat out.
Disclaimer: If somebody invites one or all of us out to eat, and they are willing to pay, that does not count in this month-long challenge.
I will report back on how it goes. How proud I am of my success and how much better I feel and how much more money we have.
(Talking myself into this ...)
I am not above asking you for help. I want (at least I think I want) to change.
As much as I am counting on myself, I am also counting on you. Every time I want to send Matt to pick up something in a to-go container, I am going to imagine you spies out there watching ... And, hopefully, that will be enough to keep us at home during meal times.
Gonna use that ugly thing called pride against myself as motivation.
This not-eating-out thing will be good for us — in body and in pocketbook.
Ready ... set ... eat (at home)!

1 comment:

  1. We're posting sentries at every local drive-thru! HA! No really. I realize this is a very difficult thing to do, so congrats on your first step!

    ReplyDelete