Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Baby Bella turns 2

Those of you from large families may understand how younger children have to fight for food, drink, attention and really survival in general.
Our third child, Bella Rose, has assumed that role perfectly. She’s cute on the outside and a down-right dirty survivor on the inside.
Mom calls her other persona: “Dark Bella” aka DB.
Some (my dad is really the only one!) don’t believe she exists. Mainly because DB is hidden beneath Bella’s Cabbage Patch doll likeness: (Oehlschlager-round head, button nose and tiny mouth). But believe me, when Bella feels threatened or is just in a salty mood, DB surfaces.
Last Tuesday we celebrated her second birthday. Bella cares not a lick about her age — it’s all just a number to her — higher the age, bigger the conquest, I suppose.
I have witnessed Bella, who doesn’t talk much, transform into DB, grab ahold of a sibling at the calves and football-hug them until they succumb to her mighty arms.
She’s tough as nails and can take any item away from any of her brothers or sister no matter the height challenge. She watches for someone to leave their play post, where they had cautiously guarded their toys from Bella’s captivity. She stalks her prey and one moment of weakness and their precious activity is DB’s for the taking. Her timing is impeccable.
Another aspect of my Bella, is that she is very particular about who she is chummy with. I think it’s a defense mechanism. She’ll choose my dad above anybody, including Matt and I. And most people are met with a low gaze from behind an “approved” adults legs. She may look cute and shy, but don’t underestimate her. DB is lurking close behind, waiting to protect, if necessary.
In all sincerity, my Bella Rose, named for my late Grandma Rosie, is a joy. I truly believe, even though they never met, Bella received some of these attributes from my grandma’s “scrappy” DNA.
Bella, who arrived unexpectedly 15 months after Rylan and only 10-1/2 months before our baby Masen, is a vital piece of our family puzzle.
She compliments the rest of us perfectly and I pray she will harness her inner “DB” to be a positive force in her life and those around her.
Happy Birthday, my Bella Rose. And may God be with those that cross DB!

As seen in the Lawrence County Record
www.lawrencecountyrecord.com

No comments:

Post a Comment