Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My cows aren't colorblind!

One summer evening, when Matt was tucked safely away at some thousand-head calf sale at the Stockyards, our cows decided to do some traveling of their own.
I had just put the little ones down to bed and had settled into the faraway world of celebrity gossip, when I noticed something out our living room window.
A very excited calf was doing some jump-kick thing with his hind legs as he ran in a celebratory way across our lawn and on down the road.
AHHHHHHH!
As I ran for the phone, my worst fears were realized — ALL the cattle had gotten out and were stampeding down the road!
So, I took a deep breath, and went outside to assess the situation. Not long after, some good-hearted folks down the road pulled into the drive to let me know we had cattle out. Yep, I knew, I told them and I had no way to get them back in.
So what did these neighbors do (in compact cars, I might add)? They loaded up and pushed the cows back up the road and safely back into the pasture.
Good neighbors are not only great, but vital.
Especially when you have scheming cattle like we do. I know those cows know when Matt leaves. As soon as his red truck drives off, they hit the road, too! (And according to Eldon Cole, recent research suggests cattle CAN see some colors!) So, they know!
Like when I was walking to our blackberry patch one summer night and heard the unmistakable sound of a big mammal chomping on corn husks in the garden. I cautiously readjusted my gaze to the left only to find our bull making a buffet out of the garden!!!! Ahhhhh!
I wish I could say that’s all the experience I have, but it’s not.
My latest ordeal was more celebratory on my part, though!
One Saturday as I was folding laundry I noticed we had a cow out on the road. Of course, Matt was at a sale and the kids were home with me. So what to do? This time, I took matters into my own hands.
I put the kids in a secure area (their beds) and headed out. I ran (hopefully nobody was watching!) to the barn and found an empty feed sack. As I walked to the gal cautiously, I told my self, “Don’t say ‘Here, cow!’” But the first thing that came out as I rattled the empty bag was just that. She looked at me, shocked I guess, and continued with what she was doing. I was no threat, obviously.
Since I got her attention, I believed I was on the right track. So I said it again and shook the bag like crazy.
Well, then the old gal took notice and started toward me. Ahhhhh!!!!! Panic-stricken because that lady was hungry and this lady had only an empty bag of feed, I took off running to the barn. Well, she started to run, too, thinking she was gonna miss out on a tasty snack.
By chance my brain told me “Open the gate!” So, I did. And in she ran.
AL-LE-LU-IA! (If you know me, you can hear me singing it now!)
I called Matt (from inside of course — I didn’t forget about all those kids waiting) and told him of my recent victory. He was proud.
If only that was the only drama that day. Soon, I heard a noise from inside the bathroom ... Rylan had locked the door. With him inside. And, this 3-year-old was content NOT to escape!
Day in the life, I suppose.

As seen in the Lawrence County Record
www.lawrencecountyrecord.com

No comments:

Post a Comment