Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Where she'll land, nobody knows!

A few years ago I never would have thought my No. 1 request on my birthday/Christmas list would be a bread maker. But here I am. 25 years old. Four kids and a husband. Farm with the likely characters. And a sort of amnesia to the path my life took to get here.
Don’t get me wrong, I want nothing else than to get up at the crack of dawn every single day and change diapers, fill sippies, corral the young’uns, feed/water animals, etc. But as I sit here and look around at my unexpected life, I feel a sense of gratitude for the Man above who ignored all my selfish wishes as a college student and put me on the path I am today.
See, while I was on the Capitol beat during an internship for my college newspaper, I dreamt the dream that one day I would be Senator Fairchild. Not long after, my life took what I thought was a south turn, and we had our daughter Kadence. (Who was 5 on Dec. 1!)
So out the window went my legislator, singleton college-girl dreams and down the pipeline came the non-traditional married college student from a small town (yep, I moved back home!).
After college graduation, I began a new journey, one I swore I would never do — work at the Lawrence County Record!!! But again, what a blessing.
Yes, I work for my family’s business, but to me, everybody who works at The Record is my family. I’ve spent A LOT of time here over the years, and most of the people who work here are people who knew me before I knew them, if that makes any sense. Plus who can get that dang ink out of their blood? I sure couldn’t!
I know I’m still very young, and I realize my life will take many, many more turns, and I guess that’s OK. But as my first born, the child who started this beautiful mess, celebrated a milestone birthday, it gave me pause to reflect and be thankful —‘tis the season, right!
Thanks for my life. It’s unscripted to me but my path is not unknown. God knows where I’m going to land, and up to this point, he’s proved to me he sure has a sense of humor!

As seen in the Lawrence County Record
www.lawrencecountyrecord.com

No comments:

Post a Comment